Thursday 1st February, 2018 – Almost five months after Hurricane Irma decimated Barbuda, education officials have given the green light for school to re-open on the sister isle on 5th February, 2018.
A team lead by Director of Education, Clare Browne, travelled to Barbuda on Wednesday and met with officials in charge of the re-building process. They also held discussions with residents, following which it was decided to resume classes to accommodate the 80 students currently residing there with their parents. The team’s visit was preceded by another visit last week by the school attendance counselling unit.
Director Clare Browne explains that following an assessment, the ministry concluded that classes will resume for students of both primary and secondary school ages.
Thirteen primary and secondary teachers will return to facilitate classes.
Mr. Browne says the resumption of classes are mainly for those who are already on Barbuda and while he agrees that many may be eager to return home, there are regulations that must be adhered to where public school teachers and students are concerned.
The Ministry of Education has received a commitment from the Board of Education that all supplies needed to aide teachers in their lessons will be provided. The director says this is the first step towards returning the education system in Barbuda to where it was before Hurricane Irma.